Friday, October 23, 2009

My Aching Feet!

After 3 runs on the road under my belt in 10 days with my Vibram Five Fingers, I thought I would try running my favorite trail in Renaissance Park which is just under 3 miles. My longest run was this past Tuesday which was just shy of 2 miles so I figured a run on dirt with under 3 miles shouldn't be too bad.

I went out to the park with my friend Terry from work and let him take the lead on the single track as I figured I would be slower having to watch out for anything that stuck up out of the ground. My first challenge was gravel which was painful but not excruciating. Other challenges were roots and the fallen leaves that hid acorns and other matter. My cardio was fine but towards the middle of the run I was cringing at ever bad step. By the time it was over, my feet hurt and still hurt today but I can walk just fine but I am reminded with each step. The road runs were actually way less painless. The good news is that the pain is just soreness in my feet and not much else so a day or so of healing and I can try it again.

I dread doing the run again next week but I have read in this article that the more you run barefoot (technically I am not barefoot but I am as close as I can be in those Vibram shoes) the more your feet toughen up. It should only get easier. This run was definitely the most painful thing I have ever put my feet through but if it makes them stronger and makes me a better runner I will keep doing it.

On another note, my co-workers had a good laugh at my expense over my Vibram Five Fingers. I am used to their ribbing as most of the things I do are rather unconventional. I am sure they think I am a nut (and perhaps I am) but I truly believe the evidence of how barefoot running is better for you that I just don't care what they think. I was never very comfortable in running shoes so this feels right in my mind.

My goal is to run the 5K in Matthews in my Five Fingers on November 7th. With a couple more weeks to go and at least 4-5 more runs I should be more than ready. I will have more updates leading to the event.

No comments:

Post a Comment