Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Year's Challenge and Honey Crisp Apples with Cinnamon

Happy New Year to all my blog readers!  I received an email this morning from Lisa Shaffer about a 30 day/ 10,000 kettlebell swing challenge to start the new year and I decided to accept it.  I love a good challenge.  This morning I took out my 16kg kettlebell and got busy.  I usually work out with a 24kg but because of the high repetition factor I thought I would go lighter.  I did 500 swings today - a combination of two-handed swings and one handed swings.  I had to break the workout into 10 sets of 50 reps.  I need to average 333 swings per day.  I am going to do two days of 500 and then take a rest day until I reach 10,000 which should be on January 29th.  I will keep you posted on my progress.  If you don't know what a kettlebell is or don't know what a  kettlebell swing is check out the video below:



You too can join the 10,000 swing challenge on Twitter by using the hash tag #10kswing or join the challenge on facebook here:
 or join thekettlebellconnection.com forum.  It's always more fun to do the challenge with others.   Here is an article to learn more about it:
http://nofearfitness.com/articles/10000-swing-challenge.php

One other tidbit... I found a healthy snack that I enjoy having with my son - honey crisp apples with cinnamon.  EarthFare here in Charlotte, NC sells a bag of organic honey crisp apples for $5.99.  I recently read this article about how tasty Vietnamese (Saigon) cinnamon is and how it is effective in controlling blood sugar.  I was able to find a bottle of the cinnamon in Whole Foods when I was up in NY last week.  Since last night my son and I have shared 6 apples with the Vietnamese cinnamon!  It tastes incredible!  Click here to read more about Vietnamese cinnamon. 

That's all for now!  Let's get the new year off to a great start!

No comments:

Post a Comment