Wednesday, April 7, 2010

My Top 20 Workout Songs 1980s - 2000s

I prefer to exercise to music  but do not like wearing headphones or earbuds.  Call me old-fashioned but I prefer music coming out of speakers and filling a room.  In my garage, I took old computer speakers with a  subwoofer and plug my mp3 player in to wake me up for my morning workouts.  I prefer hard rock music when I exercise.   I exercise alone most of the time so maybe the anger in some of these tunes are like a coach or personal trainer barking at me to burn out a few more reps.

1) Ready To Go - Republica -  Lyrically speaking, is there any better song to start a workout than Ready To Go?  Don't even say Start Me Up.
2) Bring Me To Life - Evanescence - Again the title of song and the energy of the tune lend itself to exercise.
3) Alive - P.O.D - With the previous song bringing me to life it only makes sense that the next song is titled "Alive".
4) Boom - P.O.D - Now that I am alive and into the workout, songs with "Boom" in the title are in order.
5) Click Click Boom - Saliva - It seems like if you put "Boom" in the title you instantly have a good workout tune - at least from my point of view.
6) Song #2 - Blur - I just love this song.  It is short, it rocks and you can scream WOO HOO!
7) Guerilla Radio - Rage Against The Machine - Another great hard driving song with some pissed off lyrics.  Perfect for a workout.
8) Headstrong - Trapt - Another great title for a song while exercising.  "Headstrong I'll take you on!"  Good old testosterone driven lyrics.
9) Seven Nation Army - White Stripes -  Any song with the lyrics "watch the sweat drip from every pore" should be on a exercise play list.
10) Breakout - Foo Fighters - Dave Grohl might be talking about zits here but this song rocks.

Lyrically these next three songs are kind of negative but they rock so they made the cut...
11) Knock Me Down - Red Hot Chili Peppers

12) Last Resort - Papa Roach

13) Bound For The Floor - Local H

Dipping in the 80s here for two of my all-time favorite  rocks bands...
14) Welcome To The Jungle - Guns N Roses - Probably one of the greastest hard rock songs of all time.
15)  Mean Street - Van Halen - Always loved the guitar lead in to this song.
16) Unchained - Van Halen - What can be better than a Van Halen twofer towards the end of a workout?


Back to the 90s to close out the list...
17) Give It Away - Red Hot Chili Peppers - I don't know why I don't get tired of this song. 

18) Cherub Rock - Smashing Pumpkins 

19) Unglued - Stone Temple Pilots
20) Them Bones - Alice In Chains - This song is the perfect ending thus completing my list.  Usually if I make it to this song I do in fact feel like a pile of them bones - and sore muscles.

So there you have it.  That's my top 20 list.  Eleven from the 90s, six from the 2000s, and three from the 80s.  If I take the time I am sure I can expand it to a top 50.  What do you think?  Think it sucks?  Disagree with some songs?  I welcome all comments and recommendations!

No comments:

Post a Comment