Monday, January 4, 2010

2009 - Looking Back and Looking Ahead

Happy New Year!

As far as physical accomplishments, 2009 has probably been the most active year of my life. From beginning to end I have kept things interesting and have entered events that have challenged me mentally and physically.

When the year began I was working out at Crossfit Charlotte. I was going there to train for my first half-marathon down down in Miami on January 26th. I did not do any running to train for this half-marathon. I did lots of rowing on the Concept2 and pumping away on the Airdyne bike to get my cardio during Crossfit workouts but that was it. I just was not up for running in the cold and last December and January had some really cold mornings. I also cannot stand running on a treadmill.

The ING Half-Marathon was a great half-marathon experience. It started and ended in downtown Miami and took us along Miami Beach. The course was mostly flat except for the bridges which had a decent but minor incline. I remember waking up that morning and walking to the start in total darkness. It was odd seeing such a huge crowd of people at 5am on a Sunday morning. It was challenging and I ached towards the end of the race but finished at 1:54:43 which is around an 8:45 minute mile average. I was quite happy with that considering I had logged 0 miles ahead of the race. After the race I walked like an old man for the rest of the day. Even stepping off a small curb was a major effort. It took about 3 days to completely recover. I don't think I will do a long race again without including running as part of regimen.

I did a few Marine Challenges and 5Ks throughout the year but most memorable was the Rock2Rock Trail Run back in late May at the Mountain Sports Festival in Asheville, NC. This time I trained by running trails at Renaissance Park but was in no way prepared for the steep climbs of the race. I finished in 1:17 and hope to try it again this year and improve my time. Mountain running is something I definitely want to do more of this year.

I ended my year by reading Born To Run by Christopher McDougall. Even if you are remotely interested in running you need to read this book. Anyone who runs or had been a runner and got injured should pick it up. I am not an avid reader but read this one cover to cover in only a few days.

I am thinking of doing the Charlotte Running Company's Inaugural Trail Race at the US National Whitewater Center in Charlotte. They have 3.8 Miles, 8.2 Miles, 13 Miles distances. It has been cold here - in the teens this morning. I would like to step up my lunchtime running when the mercury visits above freezing and then it will be possible. If I can find a running partner here at work I will start tomorrow. If not I will stay focused on the Charlotte Grand Prix Series.

I hope everyone has a healthy and happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. Learn more about U.S. National Whitewater Center and over 75 other sites on Charlotte's Longest-Running Daily City Tour presented by Queen City Tours and Travel!

    ReplyDelete