Thursday, September 2, 2010

A Real Power Lunch!

With it being my birthday I thought I would treat myself to one of my favorite lunches.  I worked out just prior to this meal.  I usually work out pre-breakfast early in the morning but today I had to run some errands.  This lunch is easy to throw together and is packed with good fats and lots of protein.  There is a small amount of good carbs as well.  There are only 5 ingredients:

1 pre-shaped grass fed bison burger from Earth Fare (Earth Fare is like North Carolina's version of Whole Foods)

1 avocado (or in this case a packet of spicy Wholly Guacamole).  I used premade guacamole today as the avocados in the local markets have been disappointing lately.

1 generous slathering of Gator Sauce.  Gator sauce by Gator Hammock is my favorite sauce.  You can use your own sauce but make sure it is not loaded with MSG, artificial colors and preservatives.  Gator sauce, while not organic uses only natural ingredients.  Visit their site here.  Btw, if you love mustard, their Swamp Mustard is awesome as well.  I have been using Gator sauce for many years now and never get tired of it.  I always order it directly from Gator Hammock by the case so I always have a good supply of it.

1 heaping tablespoon of hemp seed nut.  I have touted the benefits of hemp seed nuts all over this blog.  See my previous post on where and how to buy it.

1 good size serving of organic baby lettuce

If you never had a bison burger, it has less fat and calories than a regular hamburger and more protein.  It tastes just as good to me - especially with the gator sauce.  Here is good article on bison compared to other meats.

What I do is cook the bison burger in my tabletop convection oven - as I would a regular burger.  Place a healthy amount of baby lettuce on the bottom of the plate then put the burger on top of the lettuce and slather the burger with my gator sauce, add the hemp seed nut on top and then add the guacamole.  Then it is time to chow down.  This is what mine looked like:



Yes I know it will not win any culinary awards for presentation but man that was one good lunch.  For those of you watching your weight go with the recommended serving sizes for bison and guacamole - and easy on the sauce.  The serving sizes I used were for someone who just had a very intense workout.  Remember to eat slow and chew your food.  I didn't take this advice and inhaled it - I couldn't resist.  Heck, it's my birthday and I could do what I want - at least for today!  I will have this photo so I can fondly remember it.  **Sigh**

No comments:

Post a Comment